2018-2019 Catalog & Student Handbook 
    Jan 15, 2021  
2018-2019 Catalog & Student Handbook [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Student Services

Student Engagement

Orientation: New students are required to complete an Orientation session before registering for classes. Orientation sessions are designed to introduce students to the College, provide essential information on programs and course selection, and present available support services necessary for student success. Students may complete Orientation in person or online. Dual Enrollment students are not required to complete Orientation until after they complete their secondary program. Students who intend to enroll for 15 credits or less are not required to complete Orientation. Students who have already completed an Associate Degree or Bachelor’s degree are not required to complete Orientation. Transfer students who can demonstrate that they transferred in academic good standing from their previous institution are not required to complete Orientation. Information regarding online and in-person orientation can be found at www.germanna.edu/orientation.

Student Development Course Requirement

Effective fall 2014, all curricular students, except those in career studies certificate programs, must take College Success Skills - SDV 100  or other approved Student Development course in their first semester of enrollment at Germanna Community College. Student development courses are designed primarily to foster student success. The courses assist students in developing and practicing skills and strategies which promote a successful college experience. The requirement may be met through course substitution for students who hold an Associate Degree or Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited institution. Transfer students who have completed a minimum of 24 credit hours may gain credit for SDV 100  by taking the SDV Assessment by Local Examination (ABLE) test. Additional information regarding this policy may be found in the Appendix or at https://www.germanna.edu/policies/student-services/student-development/.

Student Success Coaches

Student Success Coaches work with an assigned caseload of students. They serve as mentors and connect students to necessary support services such as Tutoring, Financial Aid, Counseling, and Disability Services. They follow up with students as needed on enrollment, attendance, time management, and other success related issues. Student Success Coaches guide students with strategies that will help them achieve academically and graduate. Additionally, Success Coaches coordinate New Student Orientation and other Student Success programs including Welcome Day and Student Success Day.

Great Expectations

The Great Expectations (GE) program at Germanna Community College assists students currently or previously affiliated with the Virginia Foster Care System with their transition to independent living and college. The GE program participants learn about programs of study, support services and financial aid resources. Participants receive direct guidance with their college and professional aspirations while also being exposed to free monthly social events. Participants receive support from GE Mentors to ensure their success and college completion.

Counseling Services

A professional counseling staff is available to assist students with new student academic advising and in solving problems which may interfere with their academic progress at Germanna. Contact Counseling Services at Germanna locations for availability and hours of operation. Students may make appointments with a specific counselor or walk in and be seen by the first available counselor. Online counseling is accessible from the home page on Germanna’s website by clicking on the”Online Chat”link. Please visit the Counseling Center web site at http://www.germanna.edu/counseling-services for additional information.

Career & Transfer Center

Career and Transfer services are available to students interested in obtaining career information for transfer options. The Center provides information, tools, and resources that students need to make informed decisions about their educational and career goals now and in the future. The Center is located on the Fredericksburg Campus in the V. Earl Dickinson Building on the second floor. http://www.germanna.edu/career-and-transfer

Career Services

Career Services provides students, alumni, and employers with viable resources needed for a successful transition to the workplace through assistance with advising, career exploration, career assessment, job preparation, career action plan and employment opportunities. Programs and activities seek to assist and support students and alumni in learning about appropriate and satisfying careers, enabling them to participate more fully in a global society. Career and Service learning fairs are held at various times throughout the year.

Transfer Services

Transfer Services provides interaction with four year institutions for those students who wish to continue their education. College representatives visit on a regular basis and workshops are offered to help students stay on track to transfer. An Annual College Transfer Fair is held in the Fall. In addition, the Transfer webpage provides many resources to assist students including transfer guides, Guaranteed Admission Agreements (GAA) and transfer timelines.


Participation in internships allows students to become engaged with the workplace and/or community which enhances career exploration and development. The Career and Transfer Center will assist students, faculty members and employers in creating unique engaged learning experiences for both credit and non-credit.

Tuition and Fees

Tuition charges are set by the State Board for Community Colleges and are subject to change. If a tuition and fee increase does occur after payment has occurred, the student will be responsible for the difference. Please visit the Business Office website for more information https://www.germanna.edu/business-office/tuition-and-fees/.

Eligibility for In-State Tuition Rates

The College makes an initial determination of a student’s eligibility for in-state tuition rates based on the information provided by the applicant and/or the applicant’s parent, legal guardian or spouse on the Application for Virginia Domicile. Eligibility is determined by using State Council of Higher Education guidelines pertaining to Section 23-7.4 of the Code of Virginia.

Generally, in order to be eligible for in-state tuition rates, the student must have been legally domiciled in Virginia for a period of at least one full year prior to the beginning of the planned term of enrollment at the College. Domicile is a technical, legal concept which means more than simple residency in the Commonwealth of Virginia. In order to be considered a Virginia domiciliary, a student must demonstrate through clear and convincing evidence his/her intention of remaining in Virginia indefinitely.

Demonstration of intent is usually accomplished through objective evidence. A student under the age of 24 generally assumes the domicile of the parent(s) or legal guardian(s), unless the student has been legally emancipated or meets criteria for independent student status. A student who has been classified as out-of-state for tuition purposes will be notified in writing of the domicile determination. Additional information about eligibility may be obtained from the Admissions and Records Office.

Domicile Appeal:

A student who disagrees with the initial tuition classification may make a written appeal to an Associate/Assistant Registrar within ten business days of the initial notification. The student may be asked to provide additional domicile information to supplement the Application for Virginia Domicile. An Associate/Assistant Registrar will respond to the appeal via email notification within fifteen business days.

If the student disagrees with the tuition classification, the student may file a final written appeal with the Registrar for consideration by the Domicile Appeals Committee. The Domicile Appeals Committee shall consist of two members of the Student Success committee and the Registrar. No person who serves at one level of this appeals process shall be eligible to serve at any other level of this review. This written appeal must be made within five business day of the student’s notification of the first appeal. The Domicile Appeals Committee will review the domicile determination to ensure the decision is in compliance with relevant state legislation and state guidelines.

A student who is not satisfied with the outcome of the review by the Domicile Appeals Committee may appeal to the appropriate circuit court. The student must file a petition for review with the court within thirty business days of receipt of the decision made by the Domicile Appeals Committee.

Note: The Guidelines for Determining Domicile and Eligibility for In-State Tuition Rates set forth in Section 23-7.4 of the Code of Virginia will be followed by Germanna Community College throughout the domicile appeals process.

Changing Status: If the student initially enters the College as an out-of-state student and believes subsequently to have achieved Virginia domiciliary status, an Application for Virginia Domicile must be submitted to the Admissions and Records Office. If a determination is made in the  student’s favor, the student will become eligible for in-state tuition rates for the next semester in which the student enrolls.

Paying Tuition

Tuition payments may be made by cash, check, money order, or by one of the following payment cards: Visa, MasterCard, or American Express. The payment may be made in person or on web at www.germanna.edu.

Deferred Payment: The College may offer deferred payment dates during specified registration periods. Refer to the Academic Calendar on the college’s homepage for payment deadlines.

Student Payment Plan: Automatic Payment Plans are available for tuition and fees. These plans are offered through a payment plan service provider that has contracted with the college. Enrollment in the Automatic Payment Plan must be completed on-line through the student MyGCC Portal. For further information, refer to http://www.germanna.edu/business-office/automatic-payment-plans/.


Students may drop courses and receive a full refund through the Last Day to Drop with a Refund for the session and term the course is associated with.These dates can be found on the Germanna Webpage on the Academic Calendar. Students must drop courses by using the MyGCC link on the Germanna homepage or by submitting a Drop/Add Form to any Welcome Center in order to receive a refund.

Students may choose to have refunds credited by direct deposit to their bank account or to a prepaid debit card. If no choice is made, refunds will be in the form of a check issued to the student and mailed to the address on file in the Student Information System. Whenever possible, payments made online using the QuikPay online payment system will be applied to the payment card used to make the payment.

Refunds are typically processed within 2 weeks of the”Last Day to Drop with Refund”and take approximately 15 business days to be received by mail.

Students seeking an exception to the tuition refund policy due to mitigating circumstances must contact the Admissions and Records office. Refunds will not be authorized after the refund deadline unless extraordinary circumstances are documented and approved by the Registrar. Refunds will be approved in accordance with VCCS policy.

Note: If a student eligible for a refund has an outstanding debt to another State agency, the Commonwealth Treasurer’s Office may apply the refund to the outstanding debt.

Past Due Balances, Returned Checks & Late Charges

Failure to make payment in full (either by cash or in the form of anticipated financial aid sufficient to cover any balance due) by the payment deadline may result in the student being dropped. If the matter is referred for collection to an attorney or to a collection agency, then the student will be liable for attorney’s fees or additional collection fees of up to 25% (subject to change) of the then unpaid balance. Registering for classes will be deemed to be acceptance of these terms.

Repayment Upon Withdrawing from College

If a student withdraws (or stops attending classes) from college at any time during the semester, the student may be required to repay a portion of the grant aid received. The amount of repayment due is calculated based on the student’s withdrawal date. Repayments from students shall be returned to the programs from which the student received funds, as specified in Federal Regulations. Work Study earnings are not included in the repayment calculation. Students who stop attending class and receive grades of F, U, W, I or X may be required to repay a portion of the total federal aid received.


Student Activity Fee: A student activity fee is charged per credit hour to all student categories except Out-of-State, E-rate, and high school dual enrollment. This fee supports student activity operating budgets.

Parking Maintenance Auxiliary Fee: A parking maintenance auxiliary fee is charged per credit hour to all student categories except Out-of-State, E-rate, and high school dual enrollment. The fee supports the maintenance costs of the parking lots, which are not allowed to be funded with state appropriations.

Facilities Auxiliary Fee:

A facilities auxiliary fee is charged per credit hour to all student categories except Out-of-State E-rate and high school dual enrollment. The fee supports the facility costs that cannot be funded with state appropriations, such as student centers and parking garages.

Technology Fee: A technology fee is charged per credit hour to all students. Revenue from this fee is used to update and improve instructional tools such as computer hardware, software, networks, and peripherals.

Capital Fee: A capital fee is charged per credit hour to all out-of-state students, including out-of-state contract students. This fee is to offset bond expenses for capital construction. The college collects this fee but does not retain it.

Fees for Copies of Records: Germanna Community College has partnered with Parchment Inc. to provide secure online ordering and delivery of academic credentials, including transcripts. Students are responsible for the fees associated with requesting their transcripts through Parchment. There is no charge for requested records beyond the transcript fee.

Books and Supplies:

Students are expected to obtain their own books, supplies and consumable materials needed in their studies. The estimated costs of these items is $700 per semester, depending on the program of study and number of credits taken by the student.

Tuition and fees are subject to change with the approval of the Virginia State Board for Community Colleges. The current tuition and fees are posted on the College’s website at https://www.germanna.edu/business-office/tuition-and-fees/ All fees are due with payment of tuition

Financial Aid

The Financial Aid Office is happy to assist with applying for grants, loans, scholarships, and the work-study program. The first step to apply for those program is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You must apply online through FAFSA on the web at fafsa.gov each year. April 1st is the FAFSA Priority Filing Date for the College each year. Students should file their FAFSA as early as possible and respond to requests for information promptly. When completing a FAFSA each year, you must list Germanna Community College in order for us to receive your information electronically. The school code for Germanna Community College is 008660. You and your parent(s) (if applicable) must obtain a Federal Student Aid ID at fsaid.ed.gov prior to completing the FAFSA.

Types of Financial Aid that Germanna offers are: Federal Pell Grant, Federal Direct Loans, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants, Commonwealth Award, Virginia Community College System Grant, Virginia Guaranteed Assistance Program, Part-Time Assistance Program, President’s Tuition Offset Grant, Federal Work-Study, Germanna Work Study Program, and the Germanna Guarantee Scholarship Program.

Aid eligibility is determined on the “Last Day of Drop with Refund” date each semester (for the 16 week session for Fall and Spring and 10 week term for Summer) and is based on the number of enrolled credit hours. Any changes to your enrollment may cause your financial aid to be adjusted accordingly.

For those students receiving financial aid: the “Bookstore Charging Period” is open for four weeks each semester, starting the week prior to classes.

Payment for classes is due upon registration. Students need to plan ahead by reviewing payment options and available resources.

What is Financial Aid?

Student financial aid is money received from an outside source to assist the student in paying for the costs of higher education. Financial aid is available from the state and federal governments, the Germanna Educational Foundation, and private organizations.

Financial Aid - Staff members at both campuses are available to provide information and assistance with financial aid programs. Financial Aid is awarded based on Federal and State guidelines. Rarely are there circumstances that permit colleges to award students that do not meet these guidelines. If you feel that your circumstances are mitigating and should warrant a special consideration, please contact the Financial Aid Office. Any circumstances must be documented before special consideration will be given.

Students who have received a financial aid award notice may use their financial aid for payment of tuition. Tuition and fee charges not fully covered by financial aid must be paid prior to the deferred payment deadline. Financial aid refunds for students who have financial aid in excess of tuition, fees and books will be processed approximately during the sixth to eighth week of classes. More information on the financial aid programs are available on the Financial Aid section of the Germanna Community College web site.

Who is Eligible for Financial Aid?

Federal and State Aid: Students must apply for financial aid by completing the FAFSA. The results of the FAFSA must be released to Germanna Community College and must indicate that you have financial need. To qualify for federal or state financial aid at Germanna Community College, students must be accepted for admission as a regular student in an eligible program of study, must maintain satisfactory academic progress, and must not be in default on a student loan or owe a repayment to a federal grant. Students must be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizens. Students who have not graduated from high school or received a GED equivalent will not be eligible for federal assistance beginning July 1, 2012. State funds are only available for students domiciled in Virginia. All other federal and state requirements must be met.

Local Scholarship Aid: Qualifications for each local scholarship are determined by the donating organization or business. Current scholarship announcements are available in the Financial Aid Office on each campus and on the Germanna Community College web site.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards for Financial Aid Recipients

Students must maintain satisfactory progress in order to receive any federal, state, or institutional financial aid. Satisfactory academic progress will be evaluated at the end of each term. The Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards is available at germanna.edu/financial-aid/academic-progress.

AA, AS and AAS Degree seeking students will have a maximum of approximately 96 attempted credit hours during which time they may qualify for financial aid. (Actual maximum credit hours are 150% of the number of credit hours required to complete the program. This may be slightly more or slightly less than 96 credit hours.) Once a student has reached this maximum credit hour limit, their eligibility for aid will be exhausted. Changes of programs do not extend these time limits. All enrollments at the school are counted toward the maximum limit whether or not the student received aid. Certificate programs are limited to 150% of the number of credit hours required to complete that program.

Repeated courses enable the student to achieve a higher cumulative grade point average. Students can repeat courses with financial aid until successfully completed but repeating courses adversely affects the student’s ability to meet completion rate requirements. Financial aid can be considered for successfully completed classes that are repeated to achieve a higher grade but for only one additional attempt. Only the latest attempt will count toward the cumulative grade point average. All repeated courses are counted toward the maximum credit hour limit. Transfer credits are counted as credits attempted.

Loss and Reinstatement of Eligibility

Students who do not meet these standards will be notified of the reason(s) for the loss of eligibility. A student may appeal the loss of their eligibility, in writing, to the Financial Aid Office by completing a Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Form. The Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Committee will consider appeals and the Financial Aid Office will notify the student of the decision, via your student email account. All appeals must be supported by documentation or they will not be considered. A student who chooses not to appeal or whose appeal is denied may return at his/her own expense and complete the classes necessary to meet the required standards to reinstate their aid. Refunds and Repayments for Title IV Financial Aid Recipients. For more information on the impact of drops and withdraws please see the Financial Aid website.

Change in Enrollment Status during the Full Refund Period

If a student fails to attend class, officially drops a class during the full refund period, or has a class canceled, his/her eligibility for financial aid funds will be reduced accordingly. If the student receives funds based on the higher enrollment level, the student must repay the difference between the grant for the higher enrollment level and the grant for the lower enrollment level. Students who fail to begin attendance in all classes are not eligible for financial aid and will be required to repay all financial aid funds received.

After the Refund Period

Students who stop attending class and receive grades of F, R, U, W, I, or X may be required to repay a portion of the total federal aid received. Students who receive grades of F, R, U, W, I or X may lose eligibility for further financial aid funds too. Students may have to repay financial aid funds under the following circumstances:

  1. If a student withdraws from all classes after the refund period, or
  2. If a student fails to begin attendance in one or more classes, or
  3. If a student stops attending all classes for the semester.

Types of Financial Aid at Germanna

Federal Pell Grant: Pell Grants are awarded to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor’s or professional degree.

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant: A student who is not eligible for a Pell Grant, but whose parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. Armed Forces and died as a result of service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after September 11, 2001 may be eligible to receive the Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant.

Eligible students must be under 24 years old or enrolled in college at least parttime at the time of the parent’s or guardian’s death. The grant award is equal to the amount of a maximum Pell Grant for the award year - not to exceed the cost of attendance for that award year..

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants: This is a federal grant for undergraduates with exceptional need. Since these funds are limited, only Pell Grant recipients with the lowest Estimated Family Contribution will receive these grants which typically range from $1,500 to $3,000 at Germanna.Recipients must be enrolled at least half-time (six semester credits).

Federal Direct Stafford Loan: Direct Stafford Loans, from the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program, are low-interest loans for eligible students to help cover the cost of higher education. Eligible students borrow directly from the U.S. Department of Education. A minimum of six credit hours per semester is required. Annual limits are based on class level and dependency status and range from $5,500 to $10,500 per year at community colleges.

Federal Direct PLUS Loan: Parents of dependent students may apply for a Federal Direct PLUS Loan to help pay their child’s education expenses as long as certain eligibility requirements are met. The annual limit on a PLUS Loan is equal to the student’s cost of attendance minus any other financial aid the student receives.

Commonwealth Awards: The Commonwealth grant provides grants to qualified students who are domiciled residents of Virginia. Students must be enrolled at least half-time (six semester credits) in a qualified degree program. The Commonwealth Awards must not exceed the cost of tuition and fee charges. Awards typically range from $400 to $1,800.

Virginia Guaranteed Assistance Program (VGAP): Full-time Virginia domiciled dependent student who graduated from a Virginia high school with at least a 2.5 grade point average may apply for this state grant program. Students must be a first-time freshman, dependent status, and may qualify for renewal awards.

Part-time Tuition Assistance Program: The Virginia Part-Time Assistance Program is to assist undergraduate, part-time students with financial need to pay part of their college costs. In order for an undergraduate student to be eligible for an award, a student must be a domiciled resident of Virginia and be enrolled for one to eight credits in an approved degree, certificate, or diploma program.

Federal Work-Study: This program provides part-time jobs for students who demonstrate financial need and are enrolled at least half-time (six credits per semester). Student class schedules, curriculum and job skills are considered in assessing jobs. Most employment is on-campus; however, additional employment opportunities have been established for off-campus community service employment. Students are paid bi-weekly.

Germanna Work Study Program: The Germanna Wage Program provides employment opportunities to students who do not qualify for need based work study. Students must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid to apply for the Germanna Work Program. Students must meet the same academic standards as Federal work-study students and have special qualifications which may be used to further the aims and philosophy of the institution. Students are paid bi-weekly.

Germanna Guarantee Scholarship Program: The Germanna Community College Educational Foundation may award scholarships to students who demonstrate financial need. Scholarships provide assistance for tuition, books or other educational expenses.

The Rich Gossweiler Student Emergency Fund: This fund provides students with emergency financial assistance above and beyond normal grants and aid, while removing some of the barriers for students who may be in financial need. The intended purpose of these funds is to pay for something that falls outside of tuition, fees, or required supplies for college. Students will apply in person for the Rich Gossweiler Student Emergency Fund. There is a maximum amount allowed per student application of $500 providing there are funds accessible for disbursement. Applications can be found in any of the Financial Aid offices at Germanna locations. This fund has been established to aid students in case of emergency and can only be utilized one time per student per academic year. Recipients must be enrolled at Germanna Community College.

State Tuition Assistance Programs

Virginia Military Survivors and Dependents Education Program: Children ages 16 to 25 of certain wounded, disabled, or deceased Virginia veterans or armed services personnel may be eligible for educational assistance.

Children of Law Enforcement Officers and Firefighters: Children ages 16 to 25 of Virginia law enforcement officers, firefighters, or rescue squad members who have been killed in the line of duty may be eligible for full tuition and fees.

Registration Information

Students may register in person at any Germanna campus or center or ONLINE via myGCC. All students are encouraged to register for classes as early as possible. Registration dates and current class schedules can be found at www.germanna.edu. Registration is not complete until tuition is paid.

New/Readmit Students: A new/readmit student is one who has not enrolled in credit courses at GCC in the last three years.

  1. New students must submit an Application for Admission. Students can complete the free application by going to www.germanna.edu. Paper applications are also available in the Admissions and Records Office. At the end of the application process, you will be issued a student ID number.
  2. All GCC students must be assessed before starting classes. New students may need to take placement tests. Students should have a current application for admission to Germanna Community College on file, and present a valid state issued ID and Germanna Community College student ID number when coming to test. Students who have successfully completed a previous college level English and/or math course with a grade of C or better may not be required to complete placement tests Also, students who have SAT or ACT scores which meet Germanna’s requirements, may not need to take placement tests. For current score requirements, contact Counseling Services. All test scores are valid for 5 years.
  3. Students must have official copies of scores and/or college transcripts sent to Germanna for their official records. However, unofficial copies of scores can be used for advising and registering purposes and should be brought with students to advising and registration appointments.
  4. Make arrangements so that your official high school, GED, and/or college transcripts are sent to the Admissions and Records Office at Germanna. To officially transfer college credit, you will need to submit a Request for Evaluation of Transfer Credit form to Germanna’s Admissions and Records Office.
  5. After completing the required New Student Orientation new students are encouraged to meet with an advisor/counselor prior to registering for the first time to review program requirements, determine an appropriate course load, and clarify educational goals and objectives. If you are under the age of 18 and/or do not possess a high school degree or GED, you will need to meet with a counselor/advisor. Students that select a program of study will be assigned a faculty advisor during their first semester.
  6. After meeting with an advisor/counselor students may register online through myGCC SIS. Students needing assistance with registration may also submit a registration form to Admissions and Records or register in-person with an advisor/counselor.
  7. All students must pay tuition by the posted deadline. Payments can be made in-person at each campus location or electronically via myGCC. Additional payment options include a payment plan, financial aid, and student loans.

Continuing Students: A continuing student is one who has enrolled for credit courses at GCC within the last three years.

  1. Continuing students are encouraged to meet with an advisor regarding your program of study on a regular basis. Students that have been assigned a faculty advisor may make an appointment with their advisor during their posted office hours.
  2. Students may register online via myGCC, in person with an advisor/counselor, drop-off (a drop box is provided outside the Admissions & Records Office at each campus) or by mail.
  3. Pay tuition. Payment can be made in-person at each campus location or electronically via your myGCC student account. Germanna also has an Automatic Payment Plan that the Business Office can assist you with. In addition, the Financial Aid Office at each campus can assist with the financial aid application process.


Academic Advising

Academic advising is designed to assist students in developing and following an educational plan that will enable them to meet their educational and career goals. Such assistance includes: selecting a program, developing a plan or timetable for completing the program, developing student- and semester specific course schedules, monitoring and following students’ academic progress, and identifying/referring students to appropriate learning assistance opportunities as necessary.

All students are expected to see a counselor for new student academic advising prior to their first enrollment in the College. During this initial advising session, the student’s educational and career goals are discussed in relationship to their academic program. During the first semester, all curricular students are assigned a faculty advisor. Curricular students should consult with their faculty advisor each semester for help with course selection and with all developments relating to their educational and career objectives. Students who have not selected a curriculum may continue to see a counselor for academic advising.

Students who skip a semester may continue to be advised by their previously assigned faculty advisor. All students are responsible for consulting the College Catalog and Student Handbook for course co-requisites and prerequisites before registering for a class.

After meeting with their faculty advisor and completing all developmental coursework, students in good academic standing may choose to continue meeting with a faculty advisor for advising each semester or may choose to self-advise. Students who self-advise agree to accept full responsibility for their course selection decisions and for following curriculum requirements for graduation.

Students who are pursuing a course of study in nursing should go to the Welcome Center and Counseling for initial admission information. At the Welcome Center, (1) officially select the Allied Health Preparation major and have it recorded in SIS. (2) complete registration and enrollment for classes; and (3) have transcripts from all other colleges officially evaluated with the result recorded in SIS. After students have their new student advising session (in Counseling), and have declared Allied Health Preparation as their program of study, all further advising is provided by the Nursing and Health Technology Department..

Academic Load

The normal academic load for students is 15-17 credits. The minimum full-time load is 12 credits and the normal maximum full-time load 18 credits excluding Orientation (SDV 100). Students wishing to carry an academic load of more than 18 credits must have the approval of a Dean of Instruction. Students placed on academic warning or academic probation may be required to take less than the normal course load. No curriculum may officially list in any publication more than 18 credits per semester plus orientation.

Auditing a Course

Students who wish to attend a course without taking examinations or receiving credit may do so by registering to audit that course. Students may register to audit a course, with permission from the appropriate Dean of Instruction. The regular tuition rates apply for audited courses. Audited courses carry no credit and do not count as part of the student’s course load. Changes from audit to credit or from credit to audit must be made by the official last day to drop with a refund. Students who later wish to earn credit for an previously audited course must re-enroll in the course for credit and pay normal tuition fees. (Financial aid will not pay for audited courses).

Adding a Course

Students may enter a new class or change sections through the published”Last Day to Add a Class.” Students may add a class via myGCC or by completing a registration form available online or at the Welcome Center. For more information, please see the section entitled “On-Time Registration.”

Withdrawing from a Course

A student may withdraw from a course without academic penalty and receive a grade of “W”during the first 60% of the semester or session. The date identified as the”Last Day to Withdraw without Academic Penalty”for each semester or session is published in the current catalog and is available on our website. Appropriate paperwork must be received and processed by the Admissions and Records Office on or before the published deadline. Students using financial aid are encouraged speak with the Financial Aid Office prior to withdrawing from a course.

After that time, if a student withdraws or is withdrawn from a course, a grade of “F” shall be assigned. Exceptions to this policy may be considered under mitigating circumstances if the student was making satisfactory academic progress in the course when their attendance or participation ceased. Mitigating circumstances must be documented by the student in a formal written petition and submitted with the appropriate withdrawal form to the appropriate Dean of Instruction for review and consideration. A copy of this documentation will be placed in the student’s academic file.

Note: Mitigating circumstances are defined as instances in which the student was unable to complete the course due to serious illness, death in the immediate family, full time employment or shift change, or move from the area.

Dropping a Course with Refund

Students may drop a course with refund through the published “Last Day to Drop with Refund” date. Classes dropped by this date will be removed from the student’s academic record. Students may submit course drops online via myGCC. Registration Forms may be obtained at any Welcome Center or our website. For more information, see Refunds under ” Tuition and Fees”.

On-Time Registration

On-Time Registration policy prohibits students from adding or swapping courses after the posted deadline except under special circumstances. Documentation to support the mitigating circumstance as well the permission of an authorized designee is required. Please visit the Welcome Center for more information. Additional information on this policy, can be found at http://www.germanna.edu/germanna-policies/instruction/ or in the Appendix at https://www.germanna.edu/policies/instruction/on-time-registration/.

Veterans Information

The Germanna Community College Veterans Center provides military-affiliated, tailored services including enrollment, academic counseling, advocacy, education benefit processing, and social engagement. We provide support to students who are eligible for education benefits under the Montgomery GI Bill®, Post 9/11 GI Bill®, and Vocational Rehabilitation, MYCAA scholarship program, Tuition Assistance and Virginia Military Survivors and Dependents Education program. The Germanna Veterans Center provides information to veteran and reservist students and their families, helps them apply for benefits, and serves as a liaison with the VA Regional Processing Office.

Through programming and direct services, we provide veterans, reservists, and their families with a coordinated system of service delivery to insure a meaningful transition to civilian life and a positive educational experience. New students utilizing their benefits for the first time must: Submit a Germanna Admissions application at: www.germanna.edu, meet with an academic counselor and review a degree plan checklist. Please provide copies of military transcripts for evaluation of transfer experience.

Veteran students must complete the VA form 22-1990 (VONAPP) and provide a certified copy of their discharge papers (DD-214). For dependents, VA form 22-1990E must be completed. Students who believe they are eligible for survivor and dependent benefits should complete the Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance applications, VA form 22-5490. Students who have utilized their benefits at another college or university must complete a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training VA form 22-1995. All of the VA forms and documents may be completed online at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill. Please provide copies of these documents to the GCC veterans’ representative.

Enrollment Changes - All enrollment and curriculum changes must be promptly reported to the GCC veterans representative. Changes include: Increase/decrease in course load, withdrawal, suspension, dismissal, and a change in degree plan. If you change your degree plan, please meet with an Academic Counselor and receive a new degree plan checklist and complete a degree plan change form. Educational benefits will not be given for audited courses or courses from which the eligible student withdraws, is administratively withdrawn, or receives a final grade of “W”, unless VA finds mitigating circumstances involved in the withdrawal. Educational benefits are only available for courses required in the eligible student’s’ degree plan or developmental courses required in preparation for meeting degree requirements. Online developmental courses are not eligible for funding.

Note: Enrollment changes may adjust a student’s entitlement to benefits GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.

Standards of Satisfactory Progress - The Veterans Administration requires that students receiving veteran’s benefits must maintain satisfactory academic progress. Any student receiving benefits who falls under academic warning, suspension or dismissal will be reported to VA. Work-study for Veterans and Dependents - Eligible students may qualify for the Veterans’ Work-Study Program if they are enrolled in at a three-quarter time rate. More information can be obtained at the Veterans Center.

Military Service Mobilization/Deployment Policy - Students in military service (whether voluntary or involuntary) on active duty in the Armed Forces, including such service by a member of the National Guard or Reserve, when mobilized or deployed for a period of more than 30 days are eligible for special consideration with regard to tuition refunds, credits and reinstatement.

Dependents of military members may also be given consideration under this policy. Dependents are defined as any civilian qualifying as a military dependent under 37 USC 401 currently or as otherwise amended.

Should a student request to be withdrawn from the College after the census date, the student may elect to be either deleted from the registration file and be awarded a full refund of tuition and fees or be administratively withdrawn with no refund and assigned a grade of “W”.

The student may elect to receive a refund, or request that refund may be retained and applied toward tuition and fees charged in the semester or term in which the student returns to study.

Students have the opportunity to receive an incomplete grade”I”for courses in progress when mobilized or deployed. In such cases, all course requirements shall be completed within one year from the date of release from active duty or mobilization.

Additionally, students may be given the option of taking their examinations prior to the regular exam schedule.

Students should consult the Veterans Center with any questions about their eligibility prior to seeking approval from the Registrar.